Getting Results for Clients and Investors
Lisa L. Troe is an accounting/financial expert with an extensive background in public company governance and oversight, enterprise risk management, complex financial investigations and securities litigation. Ms. Troe brings both extensive technical expertise and a broad yet unique perspective gained from over 35 years of business and professional experience with a wide range of industries in diverse organizational environments, including public and private companies, a Big Four public accounting firm, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and international business advisory firm FTI Consulting. Ms. Troe is an experienced public company director and audit committee chair, and has significant other experience collaborating with boards and executives, and their legal counsel.
Lisa L. Troe co-founded Athena Advisors LLC in 2014 and is a Senior Managing Director. Throughout her 35-plus years of business and professional experience, Ms. Troe has achieved superior results for her clients and maintained an outstanding reputation of Integrity and Independence.
In addition to serving clients, Ms. Troe is an experienced public company director. She brings to each professional endeavor her client-described “gold standard” integrity; sound judgment; mature and calm professionalism; intuitive yet critical thinking; outstanding communication, collaboration and relationship skills; and steadfast focus on overall strategies and objectives to advance business success.
Ms. Troe brings to every professional engagement the judgment, knowledge and skills gained:
- in serving as a Director for public and private companies including as Audit Committee Chair for a public company;
- in assisting with technical expertise in the representation of corporations, boards of directors, and executives as a Senior Managing Director at international business advisory firms;
- in investigating and supervising enforcement actions as a Branch Chief and the regional chief enforcement accountant in the Division of Enforcement of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s (SEC) Pacific regional office;
- in auditing business enterprises at a Big Four public accounting firm; and
- in serving in accounting and financial positions at public and private companies.
This experience informs the strategies she develops and tactics she employs on behalf of clients and investors.
Certifications, Awards, Education
Ms. Troe is a licensed Certified Public Accountant, credentialed National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) Governance Fellow, has completed the NACD Cyber-Risk Oversight Program, and holds a CERT Certificate in Cybersecurity Oversight issued by the Software Engineering Institute of Carnegie Mellon University.
Ms. Troe has been recognized as a top global forensic accountant by Who’s Who Legal, the independent research partner of the ABA Section of International Law and of the International Bar Association, for each of the past six years (2014-2019). Ms. Troe was awarded the SEC Chairman’s Award for Excellence.
B.S. Business Administration, Major in Accounting, honors, University of Colorado, Denver. Ms. Troe speaks periodically for accounting, director and legal professional organizations.
Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
Member, National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD)
Member, Women Corporate Directors
Member, Women in the Boardroom
Associate Member, American Bar Association
Member, Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni (ASECA)
- For Top 5 banking institution with total assets of $2.4 trillion:
- Client relationship senior managing director in connection with providing residential mortgage-backed securities expertise for defense of 80+ RMBS litigations
- Liaison senior managing director with 12+ law firm defense team and in-house lawyers
- Provided oversight of the FTI teams providing securitization and loan portfolio analyses, technological expertise, mortgage industry experience, expert testimony
- For NYSE-listed technology company with annual revenue of $15 billion and 100,000 employees in 80 countries:
- Led multidisciplinary international team that investigated possible violations of U.S., U.K. and other countries’ anti-bribery and anticorruption laws
- Made recommendations for improved policies, procedures and controls
- Provided comprehensive critical analysis of potential consequences of a violation, including possible legal actions and consequential financial and operational impacts to the business, e.g. potential contract breaches, ineligibility for business with existing clients, disclosure obligations, monetary penalties
- For global investment banking firm:
- Led teams that performed selected due diligence in connection with securities offerings and M&A transactions for middle market companies with international operations in a variety of industries
- For a Registered Investment Adviser and Broker/Dealer:
- Led team that performed comprehensive assessment of compliance practices and procedures and internal accounting controls; recommended improvements
- Provided monitoring oversight as Independent Consultant in SEC settlement
- In the defense of a Big Four audit firm concerning audit of Top 5 banking institution with total assets of $1.8 trillion:
- Assisted counsel following an SEC investigation into the valuation and accounting for complex financial instruments and international investments including in offshore bank
- Prepared expert report that was submitted to the SEC Staff
- Although the SEC brought action against company and officers, after receiving auditors’ defense submission that included the expert report, Staff recommended and the SEC took no action against the Big Four firm or its personnel
- In the defense of former CEO of public technology company:
- SEC alleged illegal insider trading with respect to purported material non-public information concerning revenue guidance included in press releases
- Provided expert report and deposition in federal securities litigation
- Jury found in favor of client and the complaint was dismissed
- For an NYSE-listed international manufacturer with market cap of $10+ billion:
- Evaluated management’s risk assessment process; internal audit’s controls testing plan, process and findings; and management’s assessment of the effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting
- With legal counsel, reported findings to the SEC, which led to the SEC Division of Enforcement closing its inquiry
- For an NYSE-listed international professional services company:
- Led team to ascertain whether the company had engaged in improper earnings management
- Provided accounting and regulatory investigation resolution expertise; and recommendations for improved policies, procedures and internal controls
- Provided strategic and tactical advice to the audit committee and legal counsel
- Due to her reputation for high integrity, strong leadership and interpersonal skills, and focus on overall strategy and objectives, was instrumental in guiding (i) the outside auditors to well-reasoned conclusions favorable to the company, and (ii) the SEC to close its investigation with minimal disruption to the business
Speaking Engagements, Presentations, Publications
“Becoming Board Ready,” Deloitte Development LLC, April 4, 2019
“Top Trends in Financial Reporting,” Center for Corporate Reporting and Governance, California State Fullerton’s Business School, September 18, 2015
“Special Investigations from a Board’s Perspective,” Audit Committee Roundtable of Orange County, October 2, 2013
“Key Issues Facing Boards of Directors: Risks to Multinational Companies Arising from the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” Directors Roundtable, July 18, 2013
“SEC Accounting Enforcement: Initiatives, Trends and Developments,” Securities Docket, webcast, April 19, 2012
“SEC Comment Letters,” 2011 SEC Conference, CPE, Inc., June 27, 2011
“The Future of Reverse Mergers: Repairing the Market’s Image,” The Reverse Merger Conference 2011, DealFlow Media, June 14, 2011
“Graft, Bribes and Video Tapes: Doing Business Abroad in Compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” Seminar for Entertainment and Location Based Industries, June 8, 2011
“Ponzi Here, Ponzi There, Ponzi Ponzi Everywhere” article in Law360, August 17, 2009
“Watchdogs over the Watchdogs: Who Is Responsible for the Collapse of the Mortgage Lending Industry?” testimony, at the request of the California Society of CPAs, at Hearing before California State Assembly Banking and Finance Committee, June 8, 2009
“Critical Issues in Conducting Independent and Internal Investigations,” General Counsel West Coast Conference, ALM Corporate Counsel, November 14, 2006
“Effective Compliance Programs,” Corporate Counsel’s Forum on Internal and Government Investigations, American Conference Institute, June 23, 2006