Charles H. Troe has extensive professional experience in business transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, corporate and commercial finance, private equity and venture capital, public and private securities offerings, real estate and oil & gas syndication, partnerships and joint ventures, distress situations and bankruptcy. Prior to co-founding Athena Advisors LLC, for 20 years Mr. Troe was a senior officer or principal of regional boutique investment banking firms. Before investment banking, Mr. Troe was a partner at major law firms and was based in Chicago, Denver and Los Angeles.
Released in July 2019, Mr. Troe authored the eBook, “We Are That We Are: Theism, Spiritualism, Naturalism, and a Path to Spiritual Existentialism.”
Mr. Troe has extensive experience in middle market investment banking and private law practice in all aspects of a wide range of transactions, including:
- Corporate Finance – Public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, underwriter issues, related disclosure documentation and statutory and regulatory compliance.
- Mergers and Acquisitions – Dispositions and acquisitions of public and private companies in purchase and merger transactions involving cash and equity consideration, including, as examples, the sale of the US operations of a large Canadian oil and gas company, the roll-up of 39 public partnerships into a publicly traded master limited partnership, defense against a hostile take-over and consummation of a defensive merger, many sales of privately held businesses in many industries, including in cross border transactions.
- Investment Entities – Legal, investment banking advisory and principal experience in public and private syndication of real estate and natural resource partnerships, REITs, venture capital, private equity, SBICs, and mutual funds.
- Commercial Finance – Legal and investment banking experience with borrowers and lenders in secured and unsecured lending transactions.
- Bankruptcy – Legal and investment banking experience in debtor in possession financing and sales of businesses in chapter 11 cases.
Mr. Troe has very broad industry experience, including manufacturing, distribution, extractive industries, software, technology and biotech. He has particular expertise in:
- Medical Devices and Healthcare – Legal, investment banking, board service and personal investments in start-up, commercialization stage and mature companies, corporate and commercial finance, and M&A transactions.
- Oil and Gas Exploration and Production – Legal, investment banking, board service and personal investments in start-up and mature private companies, public (including multinational) companies, corporate and commercial finance, syndication and M&A transactions.
- Real Estate – Legal, investment banking, and personal investments in various property types, corporate and commercial finance, syndication and M&A transactions.
Board of Directors Experience
Member of Board of Directors for numerous entities, including:
- Multiple privately held oil and gas exploration and production businesses;
- Multiple privately held companies in technology, materials science, biotech, and medical device industries;
- Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute (member of Investment Committee, Chair of Audit Committee (including for special investigation), a major not-for-profit research institute affiliated with Harbor UCLA Medial Center; Southern California Biomedical Council (trade association for five county Southern California region); Life Science Industry Council (trade association, subsequently merged with Southern California Biomedical Council).
Athena Advisors LLC, 2014 – Present
Las Vegas – Co-founder and Senior Managing Director
West Ridge Associates, LLC, 2001 – 2013
Los Angeles – Founder and Senior Managing Director
Taurus Capital Group, LLC, 2000 – 2001
Los Angeles – Principal and Managing Director
Barrington Associates, 1994 – 1999
Los Angeles – Managing Director
Adams, Duque & Hazeltine, 1990 – 1993
Los Angeles – Firm-wide Chair of Corporate Department
Andrews & Kurth, 1987 – 1990
Los Angeles Office – Managing Partner
Mayer Brown, LLP, 1972 – 1986
Chicago Office – Associate and Partner
Denver Office – Partner in Charge
Education, Professional Licenses
JD, University of Chicago – 1972
BBA, University of Iowa – 1969
Admitted to practice of law (inactive) in Illinois, Colorado and California